Monday, 1 April 2013

2 - Representation of Particular Social Groups

The representation of voices, adverts and music on my radio show varied depending on the part of the script and character played (for example voxpops, the news reader or correspondents and characters in my adverts). In my research and planning, I noted down different ways which I wanted my characters in my extract to be presented. There was need for different character types for separate stories and adverts, so I chose my actors accordingly.

For many of my voices in the show, like my presenters, I needed a well spoken male voice to represent how talkSPORT and LBC's show presenters came across, so my presenter had to sound as close to that as possible. This was easier than in one of my adverts where I had to select a few different people to determine which voice sounded more appropriate for the part (of Cockney van drivers - targeting a local London audience). It took the right type of voice to be accurate for the part, and I coached my actors to put on a specific accent. 



In my commentary on the 'Tribute' extended news story, I needed a tennis commentator who sounded more archaic than the average male, who was slow and deliberate in the delivery of his speech and gave the correct emphasis at the right times. This took time to get right but eventually I got the perfect performance from Jon Alsop, the Business Studies teacher.






The news presenters on talkSPORT and LBC were often also an older, more mature male. Therefore I had to match those voices for my bulletins to represent clearly the conventions I heard in my research into representation.



No comments:

Post a Comment