Wednesday, 3 April 2013

4 - Audience

My show is a sports-orientated chat show with the odd football anthem, aimed at mainly male listeners. To get an idea of what time, where and who listened to these type of shows I distributed a questionnaire (primary research) - and my questionnaire indicated that more men listen to this kind of station than women (though I am not disregarding female sports fans whom may also very well tune in). 


Regarding age, I would be targeting and older male demographic. Even though I listen to this type of station, my questionnaire indicated that most respondents close to my age would not listen to a sports station  - instead favoring hip-hop and urban music, or a broader range of popular music. This kind of sports station was most popular with men (and some women) over the age of thirty, so I would target people between the ages of 30-55.

I used some open questions to give my respondent a choice such as: Where do you listen to the radio?

Which I collated and put into pie charts as below:


 
I had to also consider my audience when creating my adverts (I included adverts on my show because I thought that this was one of the best ways to indicate exactly who my target demographis was) - I had to think carefully by listening to existing adverts on stations similar to mine, to get the representation spot on. For example in my 'Van' Advert I needed two Cockney men. Obviously there were no hardcore Cockneys in college, therefore I had to use two teachers, who put on an excellent voices to represent my characters.



By listening to existing radio, writing notes on each element - like the length of the jingle, voices used, music and adverts - I was able to then go on and script my own show with the correct idea of exactly who my audience would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment